Behavior problems with a pet can be discouraging-in fact, they are one of the primary reasons pet owners give up their animals. However, most problems in pets can be relieved through proper training and professional assistance from your veterinarian. Through counseling, we can help improve your pet’s behavior and strengthen the bond between you and your four-legged friend.
In some cases, changes to behavior in animals are indicators of an underlying illness or pain. This is why we also provide a tip-to-tail examination of your pet prior to diagnosis and treatment planning.
Common behavioral challenges among cats and dogs include:
- Separation anxiety
- Problems with litter box training or spraying
- Chronic barking
- Destructive chewing or digging
- Possessive aggression (guarding food, toys, people, etc.)
- Noise anxiety
- Neurotic, obsessive, or compulsive behaviors (persistent licking, pacing, self-mutilation, etc.)
- Aggression towards people and/or other animals
If your pet is struggling with problematic behaviors or experiencing unusual stress or fear, please contact us for an exam and consultation.
We want your pet to be happy and well-adjusted, and many behaviors can be helped through positive training techniques, medication, and other effective therapies. At times, the services of a veterinary behavior specialist may be indicated.